Fresh Flounder with Caper & Horopito Butter
Horopito is a native New Zealand shrub, which is also known as the pepper tree. It lends a lovely spicy flavour to flounder in this dish.
Nicki Wicks favourite flounder recipe: Serves 6-8.
- 3 fresh flounder
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons, capers
- ½ teaspoon foodies Horopito
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 lemons, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven grill to high.
- Lay flounder onto a large shallow baking tray. Make a few cuts in the grey side of each of the flounder. Mix together butter, parsley, capers, Horopito and salt and rub this into the cuts and skin. Scatter over lemon slices.
- Grill on high for 12-15 minutes or until butter is bubbling and fins crisp a bit. Change oven from grill to bake 180 C and cook for a further 7-10 minutes or until flesh is cooked through.
- Squeeze some of the cooked lemon over and serve at the table!
Horopito is great for relieving stomach aches and toothache and it is available from various specialty or online food stores. Foodservice, hospitality outlets and events can order it directly from your local foodies distributor.
- foodies for food lovers