Classic Olive Oil Cake
A staple in most Mediterranean kitchens, this light and barely sweet cake is perfect for an afternoon snack or late morning tea. A final brush of foodies Extra Virgin Olive Oil just before serving brings the fruity flavour to the front of your palate as soon as you take a bite.
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup foodies Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs and sugar at high speed for 30 seconds. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, beating until combined. Add milk, beating until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low. Beat in extracts.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean, 30 to 33 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Brush with foodies Extra Virgin Olive Oil just before serving. Store at room temperature.
- foodies for food lovers