The purity of Marlborough foodies Flaky Sea Salt makes it the perfect salt for home curing, pickling or fermenting. There is nothing added or removed during our innovative clean energy salt production process except fresh water. This means there are no anti-caking agents, cleaning agents or added iodine in the salt that can harm the process and flavour of the cure.
- Side of organic salmon, skin on
- 75g foodies Flaky Sea Salt
- 75g caster sugar
- Bunch of dill
- 1 tsp black pepper corns, crushed
- Zest of a memon
- 2 tbsp gin - we love any New Zealand gin
- Pat the salmon dry with kitchen paper and make sure all small bones are removed. Cut the side in half so that you have two roughly equal sized pieces.
- Finely chop the dill and mix in a bowl with the salt, sugar, black pepper corns and lemon zest.
- Lay one of the pieces of salmon skin side down on top of a long sheet of aluminium foil and then pack the salt mixture over the flesh. Drizzle with the gin and then lay the second piece of salmon on top, skin side up.
- Wrap tightly in aluminium foil and place on a tray or in a tub, weighed down with a couple of bottles or tins. Place in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours depending on how cured you like your fish, turning the fish over every 12 hours.
- Once the desired cure is achieved, scrape the remaining cure from the fish and slice thinly. Serve with a dill mustard sauce or creme fraiche for a delicious canape or starter.
- foodies for food lovers